Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Skinny Satay


Dinner is often my favorite meal of the day, probably because I never have the same thing two nights in a row. In London, this meal-bias definitely carried over the first night we were there. The best dinner we had, by far, was on that first night. It was actually a group dinner that consisted of a three course meal (nothing was healthy on the menu they offered us-- every entree was a pot-pie), but I was able to order off of their special diet menu. I ordered chicken satay (sauce on the side), grilled cod, high and dry, and a dessert of frozen berries with warm white chocolate sauce. It was a HUGE portion, so I shared a bit, but all was delicious. (Okay I'll admit, I tasted the delicious cake that everyone else got, but the three small bites I took were enough to leave me feeling satisfied and not deprived with my berries. I also tried the filling of their lentil pot pie which was actually quite tasty!) Since I enjoyed the meal so much, I thought it was only fitting that I created my own, Tiny Tummy-esque version of my favorite course, the appetizer, to share with all of you, so you could bring a taste of my London bites into your own kitchen.








First thing is first: the chicken satay.
To make Tiny Tummy's Skinny Satay, you will need:
4 ounces chicken breast, sliced into strips or chunks
(optional, but recommended: spices of your choice. I seasoned mine with a pinch of each of the following: onion powder, cayenne pepper, fresh ground black pepper, cumin, and paprika)
(also optional: you could skewer the chicken, as chicken satay in America is often prepared this way, but for the purposes of recreating the true London experience, I'm opting against it)

For the Peanut Sauce, you will need:
2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar (if you don't have rice vinegar on hand, apple cider vinegar will do just fine)

For the Cucumber Slaw, you will need:
3 cucumbers, sliced thin
1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, sliced into skinny strips
¼ cup of distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of Stevia (or sugar)
a pinch of salt
(Note: This recipe will yield WAY more slaw that you need to fit the tiny side-dish-sized portion you need to satisfy this recipe, but it makes a yummy side to keep in your fridge, and one of Tiny Tummy's refrigerator-staples (aka must-haves in the refrigerator) is a cucumber salad very similar to this one)

To prepare, let's start with the chicken. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and arrange your chicken strips/chunks (seasoned, or not) on a lined baking sheet. Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until the pieces are cooked throughout. While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare your sauce. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir until well incorporated. For the slaw, once you've sliced all of your veggies, transfer them to a large bowl, and pour the vinegar and lemon juice over them, followed by the stevia/sugar and salt. Give it a good mix, and allow it to marinate for at least 4 hours before serving. Personally, I like to make this cucumber salad a day in advance and let it soak overnight. Once the chicken is cooked, you can skewer it for presentational purposes, or simply leave it as is and serve it with your sauce and slaw. Bon apetite! 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment