Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Catchy Ketchup (High Fructose Corn Syrup and Added Sugar-Free!)

Growing up, I was always more of the mustard over ketchup fan, but sometimes, a good squirt of the red stuff is necessary. As a kid, I had no idea just how bad ketchup was for you though (umm... high fructose corn syrup, anyone?! GROSS!) The other night, when making sweet potato fries, I realized that sweet potatoes+ mustard sounded a little gross, and what I really wanted was the dirty K word, so I set out to make my own HFCS-free ketchup, and while it doesn't have that Heinz taste, it certainly did the trick, and I'd take an earthier tomato taste over the unneeded corn syrup any day!



To make Tiny Tummy's Catchy Ketchup, you will need:
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder
pinch of salt, stevia, and cinnamon (to taste)
water

To prepare, mix the spices into your tomato paste and mix. Slowly add water until the desired consistency is achieved. If you prefer a runnier ketchup, add lots of water. For a thicker ketchup, less! With a recipe this simple, there's really no reason to buy the bottle gook. If you serve this to your kids from the start, they'll never know the difference! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment