Sunday, April 29, 2012

Portion Distortion (+ my first restaurant survival tip!)

Eating out is any dieter's biggest nightmare. When eating in most restaurants, the nutritional information of your meal is often a giant question mark. Not to mention, most restaurants these days provide WAY more than the recommended serving size of anything they are serving. Pasta dishes often come with five times the recommended amount of pasta for a single portion, yet most of us will down the whole dish (I was once guilty, trust me!).


So how can we eat out without filling out our waistlines?


Survival tip #1: Take half to-go!
Realistically, if I'm eating out, it's more than likely going to be a cheat-meal. But, it doesn't have to be a diet disaster! If you're going somewhere where you know they are going to serve you more than you should be eating, avoid the temptation, and tell them from the get-go that you would like them to package half of the meal to-go! This way, the temptation to eat the whole dish is never even put in front of you! I know for me if it's in front of me, I'm going to eat it, so if it's packaged away in that nice little to-go container, I can pretend it's not there. Not to mention, you're getting two meals for the price of one!


Disclaimer: This is not to say that you should order the fried chicken, and eat half today and half tomorrow. That's just a double whammy! The idea here is still to choose a healthy option from the menu, we're just combatting the problem of the heaping portions of food that restaurants give these days! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment