Sunday, April 29, 2012

Why I started eating grains again

For anyone who knows me personally, you know that I spent a good part of the last year and a half following a cross between a low-carb/Paleo lifestyle, so naturally, when I decided to start reincorporating certain grains into my meals, everyone was fairly confused. The most common question I am asked lately is why did I decide to reincorporate grains into my diet?


First of all, I have only reincorporated some grains- they have to be high in fiber and protein, and preferably whole grain! (You'll never see me ordering a side of white rice or white bread!) 


The real reason I switched was because I find that these whole grains are satisfying and keep me satiated for longer periods of time. I can eat smaller portions and still feel full as opposed to having to eat a TON of veggies and protein to fill up. I used to have to eat an obscene amount of protein (I'm talking poundage here!) to truly feel full, which is what the Paleo/low-carb lifestyle is about for some. I still don't eat refined sugars or processed carbs, but now I'll prepare myself a side of brown rice or some high-fiber pasta to go with my normal size portions of protein and veggies. It's all about balance!


Interested in which grains I've deemed worthy of my indulgence? You may just have to stay tuned to find out! ;) Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment