Friday, June 7, 2013

Must-Have Mussels

I always say this, but one of my favorite parts about visiting my parents is getting to use their kitchen and cook for them. The most exciting thing for me is when I get to make something I generally wouldn't make at home, and the last time I visited, I got to make just that. When I was younger, I used to love getting mussels in a white wine sauce when we went out to eat, though I know that the mussels were likely prepared in a less-than-healthy broth of butter, wine, and who knows what else. When I saw that our local fish market had a giant two pound bag of mussels for a reasonable price, I decided to get to work recreating an ole fave, and they were flavorful and delicious.

To make these lightened up mussels, you will need:
2 pounds of mussels **The shells should all be CLOSED-- if there are any that aren't, toss them!
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 shallots or 1 white onion, chopped
a splash of white wine
water

To prepare, start by cleaning your mussels if they aren't already, making sure that the mussels are all closed. (If any are open, give them a little tap to see if they shut. If they don't, they are dead and should be tossed). Then, brown your garlic and onions in the bottom of a large pot. Once they have browned, add the wine to deglaze the pan, followed by enough water to allow the broth to steam while the mussels cook. Then, add a steamer basked to your pot followed by the mussels and put a top on the pot, allowing the mussels to steam for about 10 minutes, or until the shells open. You can either serve the mussels with the broth poured over it or just eat the mussels on their own-- either way, they are yummy.

Another note: once the mussels cook, don't eat any that haven't opened. AKA don't pry them open! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment