Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pattycake, Lentilcake, Baker's Man

Ever since I tried the lentil from Trader Joe's I've been a convert to the Lentil colt. I usually just mix some spices in and toss them over a salad for lunch, but I thought it was about time they made an appearance on the dinner table, so for dinner tonight, I decided to try making lentil patties (or burgers, if you will) which were not-shockingly, quite delicious. And since I used the precooked lentils, they came together in less than 15 minutes!



To make these Luscious Lentil Patties, you will need:
120g cooked lentils
1 shallot diced
2 T mushroom diced
1 small handful spinach
1 T carrots, shredded
a pinch of each of the following: cayenne pepper, turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
optional: 1/4 teaspoon of diced fresh hot pepper (You know Tiny Tummy likes to bring the heat!)

To prepare, start by sautéing your onions and mushrooms (and optional hot pepper) in a pan until they've browned. While those cook, combine your lentils, spices, spinach, and carrots, and mix well. Then, combine everything, mix well, and form into patties. If you're having trouble getting them to stick together, you can add an egg, but I didn't have a problem (probably because I mashed my lentils up really well). Finally, spray your pan on the stovetop and place your patties in the pan. Heat them just until they are warmed and and the other veggies have cooked up a bit.

Feelin' Frisky? Another option (if you're having trouble getting the patties to stick together) would be to add some cooked brown rice or freekeh. Amp up that fiber! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment