Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Spice is Right

Now that I've been taking formal, college cooking classes, I am frequently asked what the most valuable lesson I've leaned is. To be honest, a lot. We've learned a bunch of basic techniques such as how to julienne, chop, dice, slice, pan sear, poach, how to truss a bird, butterfly shrimp, break down a chicken... the skills are endless, but when it comes to the most important thing I've learned thus far (in a close second to how to properly how and cut with a knife), is how important proper seasoning is. At home, I don't cook with a lot of salt because a lot of the foods we eat are full of sodium- especially dishes ordered from a restaurant. But from a culinary standpoint, a dish is never complete without a little salt and pepper to amp up the flavor. Moral of the story, a little spice can makes a world of difference. Even if the dishes we make aren't exactly Tiny Tummy-esque, the rule carries over: the right spice can enhance any dish, so don't be afraid to experiment. Below are some pictures of the dishes I made in class this week. (If you couldn't tell, it was seafood week!)





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment