Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Chopped: NYU Edition

I think I've mentioned in the past, but for those just tuning in, I spent the last few months taking a culinary (and food science) class at NYU. Our final exam was today, and it was basically an episode of Chopped. With the exception of the technique portion that we started with (where we had to manually whip cream, poach an egg, blanch broccoli, and execute proper folding technique), the rest of the exam consisted of us each receiving three mystery ingredients (we knew we'd get a veggie, a starch, and a protein) and we had to create a cohesive dish with the three ingredients as well as other ingredients from our kitchen. I was given cauliflower, rice (white- yuck!), and chicken breast... aka the most BORING ingredients possible! Granted, Tiny Tummy does not know boring, so when I see ingredients with mild flavors, I automatically think BOLD spices... so any guesses what I made?

If you guessed curry.... then I guess I'm fairly predictable. While the class doesn't focus on health or nutrition at all, when it comes to something I present, I want it to at least be Tiny-Tummy-esque (especially after making chocolate chip cookies, pies, cakes, and brioche-- which I did taste, mind you!) The curry I made had bold flavor without the butter and heavy ingredients that many other students used. Yes, white rice is clearly not something I would eat, but the abundance of veggies and the chicken breast combined with the Indian spice mix definitely is. I'm hoping the judges liked it, but I guess I'll find out when I get my grade! Maybe I'll officially Tiny-Tummy-ify this recipe and post it later down the line... it's a definite possibility! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment