Saturday, February 2, 2013

Roll with the Punches

So, you've done all your homework. It's girls (or guys) night out. You read up on the menu, planned your order, and you're all set to make the healthy choice, but something goes awry. Whether your friends change the restaurant, they won't do custom orders, or maybe they're out of your healthy choice. What do you do next?



First of all, don't panic. I am the first to admit I have been in this situation and gone into ultimate panic mode because hey, I went out of my way to try to do the healthy thing and the restaurant is standing in the way of me and my goals, but sometimes, you just have to roll with the punches. The worst is when you place your healthy order and it comes doused in butter or oil or sauce... whatever the case may be, but don't throw in the towel. If they screw up, it doesn't mean you should follow their lead. Don't be afraid to be vocal. Send it back if you have to. I've sent dishes back twice before they've prepared it the way I asked. If I am paying good money to eat their food, I want it prepared the way I ask for it. Maybe I'm a diva, but when it comes to being healthy, I take it very seriously! Most restaurants are on board to prep your food the healthy way- if anything, it makes their job easier to simply steam something instead of preparing it in a ton of sauce, but if a restaurant refuses to honor special requests, then stick to something safe such as a salad that they can't totally butcher. Or if there is truly nothing that looks healthy and appetizing, stick to the healthiest appetizer you can find that still tickles your fancy. At least you're guaranteed a smaller portion, and chances are, if it's something indulgent, the small portion should satisfy your craving. The most important thing to remember is if it's not the best meal nutritionally, don't let it throw you off your game. The next meal should be back to your normal, healthy ways! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment