Thursday, February 21, 2013

Whippin' Up Some Hip Dip

A few weeks ago, Mommy Tiny Tummy came home with a delicious (but not so healthy) dip from Trader Joe's. She saw "yogurt," "kale" and "low fat," and automatically thought it was healthy, and while the ingredients weren't all that bad, I still knew I could make my own version healthier and with fewer ingredients (and less sodium!), so I set out to do so. The dip from Trader Joe's is their Spinach and Kale Greek Yogurt Dip (which is slightly deceiving because it is also made with some mayo!)
To make my lightened up, mayo-free Spinach and Kale Yogurt Dip, you will need:

1 container Greek Yogurt (I used Oikos 0%)
1 LARGE handful of spinach
1 handful of kale
1 t chopped chives
1 t dill
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
2 t dehydrated onion flakes (actually my favorite part!)
1.5 t stevia
1 t lemon juice
(optional: a pinch of salt)

1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped (I used an orange one)
1/2 a can of water chestnuts, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
optional: some more chopped kale and spinach to add post-blending

To prepare, add the first 10 ingredients (and optional salt) into a Vitamix or food processor and process until smooth. Then, add the rest of the chopped veggies and mix, mix, mix. It's best if you let it sit for a few hours so all of the flavors mesh together, but it's delicious nonetheless!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment