Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Squash Casserole Update

Since my squash casserole is among my top five most visited posts (thank you site trackers!), I thought I would give you all an update on how I have come to make my squash casserole even more delicious than I thought it could possibly be in honor of my absolute favorite holiday. Though, I will give you fair warning, it take some extra time, but it's so worth it! I usually buy a gargantuan-sized squash so I only have to make this once a week, and I have it for dessert almost every night. It has become a fridge staple for me.



First, all you need is 1 butternut squash (as I said before, the bigger, the better), and a dash of cinnamon! To prepare, start by piercing the squash a few times and microwave it for 10 minutes. Yes, I said 10 minutes, and preheat your oven to 450 in the meantime. Once it's finished in the microwave, and it is cool enough to handle, peel the squash,  remove the seeds, and cut it into small chunks. If it isn't super soft, microwave it for another 5 minutes, or as long as it takes to get it really soft. Then, line a baking sheet with tinfoil, and once the squash is soft, spread the chunks on your baking sheet in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the underside of the chunks have gotten a nice char on them. Then, flip the chunks and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until that side has a nice char as well. Finally, transfer the chunks into your Vitamix or food processor, add your cinnamon, and blend until smooth consistency is achieved. If you need the sweetness, you can add a little maple syrup, but I find that the roasted flavor adds enough depth and the squash is sweet enough that it doesn't even need the syrup. And, if you don't like butternut squash, try acorn or kabocha! Do you have a trick for making squash? Tell me in the comments below! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment