Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fries in Disguise

The other day, I had a serious craving for french fries. While I could have hit my local Five Guys or Shake Shack and just called it a day, I decided it would be more fun to experiment in the kitchen with one of my favorite faux-tato swaps- turnips!


Turnip fries are about the closest I've come to real potato fries- in texture, taste, and look. If you actually fried them, they could probably totally pass for potatoes, but I baked them on a baking sheet. All you have to do is peel a large turnip and cut it into fry-like shapes (I chose to make shoestring because I didn't have a lot of time to cook them), spray a baking sheet, season your fries as you please (I just did a little garlic and onion powder), and pop them in the oven for a good 40 minutes, flipping halfway. If you want to get them really crispy, you could fry them or coat them with a little olive oil- your choice! Dipped in some ketchup or BBQ sauce, they might as well be real french fries! Yummy! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment