Thursday, July 5, 2012

Soakin' some Spelt

I never really understood the need to soak a grain before cooking until I recently started experimenting, and let me be the first to say, I totally get it now. Something about removing some of the starch and allowing the grain to absorb the moisture prior to cooking it makes for a fluffy, nutty, and delicious grain once fully cooked- as was apparent in my spelt the other night. For anyone who hasn't had spelt before, it is similar to brown rice in that it has a nutty taste, but the consistency is a bit crunchier and almost pops in your mouth as you eat it. I don't know what it is about it, but it is delicious! And it packs way more fiber and protein than brown rice with slightly fewer calories! (The exact nutritional information depends on the brand you buy). I bought a bag in my local health food store, but I'm sure you could find it in some regular supermarkets or order it online. Seriously, it's worth trying in place of brown rice as a side dish, or even make a wheatberry-esque salad out of it. Just be sure to soak it overnight! It seriously makes all the difference! Just a little teaser, I used this spelt to make a delicious seafood paella- recipe soon to come! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment