Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Garlic Shrimp and Veggie Baraella

As I shared in a previous post, I recently determined that I love barley! Trader Joe's has come up with a great solution to the normal hour-long cook time by par-cooking the barley, so you only have to cook it for another 10-20 minutes to get a soft, fluffy grain. When I find something I like, I like to experiment, and with this barley, it was no different. A few nights ago, I had a serious craving for garlic shrimp, so I decided to experiment with a take on shrimp paella, hence Garlic Shrimp Baraella was born!

To make Tiny Tummy's Baraella, you will need:

1 oz (dry) barley
3 oz shrimp (I was a little Trader Joe's happy, so I used their frozen shrimp)
a mix of whatever veggies you'd like (I used a frozen veggie blend)
2t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/2 t turmeric (for color)
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t cayenne pepper

To prepare, thaw shrimp, and prepare barley on the stove top according to package instructions, adding all of the spices to the water. Once the barley has absorbed all the water, add the shrimp with a little more garlic powder (if needed and if you want it really garlic-y), followed by the veggies (which should be cooked), just to warm them up. Once everything is seasoned and warm, transfer to a bowl and eat up. For an optional kick of spiciness, feel free to add a squirt of Frank's hot sauce- I sure did! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment