Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gnarly, 10 minute Barley!

Mommy Tiny Tummy has come to love "Instant Brown Rice" because it can function as an afterthought for a side dish since it's prepped within 5 minutes. Brown rice is great in comparison to white rice and other refined grains, but there are so many other grains out there worth trying! I never really thought I was a fan of barley, but when I came across this package of 10 minute barley at Trader Joe's, I decided I'd give it another try, and boy am I glad I did!


While it actually took about 15-20 minutes for me to get the barley to the desired consistency, it's still much quicker than traditional barley. I spiced mine with some Indian spices because I was having it with curried chicken, but it had a nice nutty taste and texture on its own. I would say its somewhere between spelt and brown rice. I remembered barley to be very hard, but maybe I hadn't cooked it long enough because this grain was soft and delicious. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quick grainy side with a burst of fiber!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment