Saturday, September 29, 2012

Skinny Skins

Confession: TGI Friday's Potato Skins used to be about my favorite thing in the world. I could eat the whole order by myself with ease! Something about the crispiness of the skins and the melted cheese (I always opted for no bacon, as it I was somehow being "healthy") dipped in honey mustard was a real treat for me. Anyway, the other night when making a batch of my usual Butternut Squash Casserole, I was peeling the skin away and throwing it away, and I got to thinking about what a waste it was to just throw away the skins, so I vowed next time to try peeling the skins away and making a chip with them, and boy, I astound myself sometimes- Delicious and resourceful- how could you go wrong?


To make Skinny Squash skins, you will need:
The skin of a butternut squash (whether you want to use a peeler and peel the skin off prior to cooking or cook the squash and then use a knife to carve the "meat" away from the skin is totally up to you- I did the latter)
Spices of choice (Want savory? Go with garlic and onion powder! Need something sweet? A little cinnamon/stevia blend works great too!)
Optional: Cheese to melt on top

To prepare, simply spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray, lay your seasoned skins out, and bake on 250 until the skins get crispy. Baking time will depend on your oven and if you opted for the first or second peeling option). You may wish to spray the actual skins themselves with the cooking spray to make them really crispy- all you need is a little spray! It will also help the spices to stick! If you're melting cheese over your skins, add the cheese about halfway through cooking! Serve with sauce of your choice! Tiny Tummy, as mentioned above, is partial to good ole honey mustard!

P.S. Sorry for the bad picture quality- I was just SO eager to dig in that I didn't even check to see if the pictures came out good before I posted! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment