Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Taco Tuesday: Chipotle Burrito Bowl Swap

As an NYU student, you basically don't go a single day without seeing someone eating Chiptole. For whatever reason, this chain has gained immense popularity. I guess it's an upscale Taco Bell with fresher ingredients, but generally, their meals aren't exactly healthy. (Though I am a fan of the fact that they post their nutritional stats!)

Anyway, from what I gather from my observations, their most popular menu item (at least among the NYU student clientele is the ever-popular burrito bowl!) And luckily, it is quite easy to make-over!


And their photo just cracked me up- a bowl filled with dreams..... and most likely indigestion :\

Anyway, to make Tiny Tummy's Burrito Basket (wouldn't want to rip them off completely!), you will need:
1 cup Lettuce (Romaine, spinach, mixed greens- anything will do!)
2oz prepared spelt (or brown rice if that's more accessible)
2-3 oz shredded grilled chicken breast (I made mine quickly in a pan with just a little pepper, onion powder, and paprika since I had finished off my last batch of homemade taco seasoning, though if you're feelin' frisky, season away with Tiny Tummy's Taco seasoning for an added burst of flavor!)
1-2oz shredded reduced fat/fat-free cheddar cheese (I actually didn't have shredded cheese on hand, so I just broke up a fat free cheese slice- the college-student in me at work!)
An assortment of "fajita veggies" (peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.)- sauteed with some taco-esue spices- cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne/chili powder, onion powder, etc. (refer to the taco seasoning post for exact measurements!)
2 T Oasis Black Bean Dip or good ole' black beans
3 T Salsa for Dressing

Optional: Top with Guac, Salsa, Sour Cream, Corn, etc.

To prepare, simply toss it all into a "basket" (or bowl- I won't tell!), top with salsa and any additional fix-ins, and eat up!

Oh, and P.S., using Chipotle's online nutrition calculator, I computed what the equivalent of the above bowl would look like, and it came out to 655 calories. The version above contains around 350 calories (depending upon the exact amounts and ingredients you use) and has more than twice the amount of fiber thanks to our spelt-y friend! (Disclaimer: The nutrition info does not include guacamole, sour cream, or any other additional toppings for either recipe!)



Optional: Top with Guac, Salsa, Sour Cream, Corn, etc.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment