Thursday, April 25, 2013

Don't Condimention it

I recently received a question about how I decide which condiments to buy (in terms of the traditional fridge staples like mustard, ketchup, salsa, etc.) There are so many different salsas and mustards and sauces galore, it seems like going through every one to find the best one would be daunting. When it comes to the condiments I buy, I could go through each jar in my fridge, but instead I'll share my #1 rule of condiment buying: No Sugar Allowed.



The way it works is, if you flip the label around, and one of the INGREDIENTS is sugar, put it back on the shelf. Now, that's not to say that you can't buy salsa because most salsas have at least .5-1g of sugar per serving, but that sugar has to come from the tomatoes, not ADDED sugar, hence why you're reading the ingredients. Same goes for mustard, and same goes for a pretty guilty culprit: ketchup, and its spawn BBQ sauce. It makes it more difficult, I agree, but something without sugar is bound to be cleaner than something with added sugar. Disclaimer though, that's not the only thing you should be looking at, but it's a good place to start! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment