Friday, April 19, 2013

Sweet n Saucey

I'll be the first to admit that I get a craving for something sweet pretty often. Instead of immediately going for cookies or chocolate or any sort of baked good, I've been trying to go for something naturally sweet, such as fruit. Mommy Tiny Tummy has been an applesauce making machine lately (and sending it my way!), so I've be having apple sauce as my sweet fix. I thought I'd share our recipe, since homemade applesauce is far more delicious (and natural) than store bought- at least in my opinion. Anyway, there really isn't much of a recipe, as much as a method, so here goes!


To make this sweet and saucey applesauce, you will need:

1 large bag of apples (don't be afraid of the blemished ones- just cut the blemishes off!)
water as needed
optional: a few strawberries and a pinch of cinnamon

To prepare, start by peeling all of the apples and removing the cores. Then, add them to a pot on a medium heat on the stovetop, add water to prevent them from burning, and cook until the apples have softened. Then, if you are adding the strawberries (which I highly suggest), add them in (leaves removed), and allow those to soften as well. Finally, transfer to a food processor or your Vitamix, add the cinnamon if you want, and puree until desired consistency is achieved. As far as what kind of apples you should use, it completely depends on what kind of applesauce you're looking to achieve. Do you want something super sweet? A little tangy? Use this chart below to determine which apples will work best for what you want.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment