Monday, November 26, 2012

Fried Frice

No, I didn't typo in my post title. I was recently asked how bad fried rice really is for you, and the truth is, honestly, pretty bad. Not only is it empty calories from the refined carbs in the white rice, but it's also coated in tons of oil- and probably not a high quality delicious olive oil if we're being honest. Fortunately, if you want to make your own fried rice, I have a trick for you. This trick is also applicable to a biryani dish or paella or any dish that traditionally calls for a TON of rice. You could even throw a slab of chili on this puppy. Are you dying in anticipation yet?

My trick is to make "cauli-rice." Basically, take a giant head of cauliflower and grate it using a cheese grater to get it to the consistency of rice. Then, microwave it until it's softened. (You could steam it but it tends to get very watery if you do that.) If you're eating it plain, I might suggest adding some seasoning to it just to give it a little flavor. Otherwise, sub it in any recipe that calls for rice in equal quantities. Talk about slashing calories and carbs! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment