Monday, November 5, 2012

Souper Simple

Since the weather has been getting colder, restaurants have begun to serve soup as specials more regularly, which means the soup aromas are constantly filling the streets. Personally, I find chicken noodle soup to be one of the most delicious smells out there, and after roaming the streets and inhaling all those aromas, it was absolutely time to make my own chicken noodle soup, and Hurricane Sandy provided the perfect opportunity to experiment. Let me just start with a disclaimer stating that under normal circumstances, I would use low-sodium chicken broth or make my own broth with real chicken in place of vegetable broth and ditch the sodium-PACKED bouillon cube, but what I had in my pantry was vegetable broth, and I wanted chicken noodle soup, so that was how it went. I will say



To make this storm-friendly soup, I used:

2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
3 carrots sliced
6-8 stalks of celery chopped (I really like celery in my soup, but if you don't you can use less)
1/2 medium onion chopped and sauteed
2 cloves roasted garlic
1/2 t onion powder
1 pack miracle noodles/yam noodles/ tofu shirataki noodles (I used the skinny yam noodles)

To prepare, simply toss everything into the pot and let it simmer for as long as you'd like to let all the flavors marinate and the veggies soften. I cooked mine for about an hour. And FYI, if you don't keep roasted garlic cloves in your fridge like I do, feel free to substitute some garlic powder, or omit it entirely. Also, if you're a fan of parsley or any other greens like italian seasoning, oregano, etc., feel free to add it in, but Tiny Tummy generally isn't a fan of herbs.

P.S.: This entire pot of soup (which yields a decent sized pot- I'd say at least 3 or 4 servings, if not more) has only 150 calories-- can't beat that! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment