Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Turkey Tuesday: Spiced just right

Yes, I'm living on the edge, and I've dared to change Taco Tuesday to Turkey Tuesday in honor of the upcoming holiday. I have been asked by a few of my friends how I prepare my giant bird, so I figured I would share my favorite Thanksgiving Turkey spice blend. Just a disclaimer, this is simply the proportion for the dry rub, and the amount that you use will depend on how large your turkey is. I always find it's best to make more and have some leftover than to have to measure out a second batch. You can always use the spice on another meat down the line.



To make Tiny Tummy's Tasty Turkey, you will need:

1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
3/4 T paprika (you can use smoked if you want it to be a little smokey, but I use regular for a more traditional flavor)
3/4 T dehydrated onion flakes
3/4 T minced dried garlic
1/2 T dehydrated chives
1/2 T freshly ground black pepper
1/2 T red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper mixture
1/2 t cinnamon and or nutmeg (or more if you want to highlight the flavor, but I prefer to have it be a subtle hint where people say, hmm is there a little cinnamon in this?)
optional: if you opt out of the cinnamon, and you're feelin' frisky, try replacing it with a little turmeric- it will even give your bird a yellow-ish color!
also optional: a little lemon zest to rub on the turkey prior to the spices (I like to stuff my turkey with citrus, so this may be extraneous, but if you don't, then go for it!

Just mix it all up and rub away-- and make sure you get in the cavity too! A well seasoned bird is a happy bird! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment