Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Freekah, and Lentils, and Mushrooms, Oh My!

In an indecisive moment the other night, I was struggling between making lentils or freekah as a side dish for my chicken, and actually, I came to a great conclusion- a mix between the two (and some added onions and mushrooms in there of course!) Needless to say, a yummy combo, and for those of you who like cold grain salads, I imagine this would be a winner cold as well.



To make this gem, you will need:

1/4 cup lentils (I use brown)
1/4 cup freekah
3 mushrooms chopped
1 small onion (think shallot sized)
a generous sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder, and optional cayenne for some kick

First, sauté your onions and mushrooms in a pan and set them aside. Then, cook your freekah according to package instructions with the garlic and onion powder added to the water. When cooked almost entirely through (about 10 minutes from finished), add in the lentils with the recommended amount of water and allow to cook with the freekah until both have reached desired consistency, but there is still a little water left. Add your onions and mushrooms and allow it to simmer until the rest of the water has cooked out

Note: This recipe yields 2 servings as opposed to my usual one serving wonders. If you don't want to prepare enough for two, simply cut the measurements in half! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment