Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Forbidden Rice





So I'm super bummed because I actually ate something really unique for dinner tonight and I forgot to take a picture to post! Regardless, I can still share my recipe, but the picture will have to wait until the next time I make it. To go with my maple balsamic dijon chicken tonight, I made black rice. No, I don't mean brown rice- black rice! My last trip to my favorite Asian Market in New Jersey brought me to the rice aisle, and considering something about Japanese rice always taste so much better than regular rice (probably the rice vinegar they add to it!), I decided to buy and make some Japanese rice. Black rice is supposed to have certain nutritional benefits as well, and it has a lot of fiber in it, so I figured why not?! I't made the same way as other rice also! At least I think it is, the instructions were in a language I don't understand! Anyway, I threw the rice in a pot with water and added some ginger for flavor, sauteed onions, mushrooms and garlic, and spiced it up with some Thyme, onion and garlic powder and flakes, and left it to simmer. The one thing I will say though is it takes a LOT of water to get the rice soft, but it has a nice, nutty flavor to it! I would definitely recommend trying it if you can get your hands on it!  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment