Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tiny Tummy's Tantalizing Tuna Salads

Very upsetting- the company that makes my favorite tofu salads didn't deliver any of the kind I like to my local health food stores this week, so I've been forced to make alternative lunches! There is no microwave/toaster at my job, and everyone knows I only like my bread toasted, so instead of sandwiches, I am used to packing some high fiber crackers with my tofu salad, but this week, I've decided to replace my tofu salad with homemade tuna salad. Poor tuna has such a bad reputation as one of the unhealthiest sammy options/spreads out there, when really, it's the mayo who's to blame! It's beyond easy to make a healthy tuna salad, as tuna, on its own, is a great, healthy source of lean protein! I thought I'd share a few of my favorite recipes to make a yummy tuna salad, without the fatty mayo that most tuna salads are made with. Let me just start by saying I make every one of my tuna salads with chopped celery and carrots in it- extra fiber and minimal calories! Feel free to add chopped onions, peppers, or any other veggies you like in your tuna salads! I use Starkist Tuna generally, but any light tuna in water will suffice!






Ay Caramba Spicy Tuna (I make this one super spicy, but the less Sriracha you use, the less spicy it will be for those of you who prefer a milder spicy tuna)


1 Can Light Tuna (IN WATER!)
Sriracha and Walden Farms Mayo Spread to taste
1/2 t red pepper flakes


Honey Mustard Tuna Salad


1 Can Light Tuna (IN WATER!)
Walden Farms' Honey Mustard Dressing (If you don't like the taste of


Balsamic Dijon Tuna Salad
1 Can Light Tuna (IN WATER!)
2 T Balsamic Vinegar
Dijon Mustard of your choice to taste (You can even use Dijonnaise!)


Curry in a Hurry Tuna Salad


1 Can Light Tuna (IN WATER!)
1-2 T Walden Farms Mayo
1/4 t Curry Powder
optional: A pinch of tumeric, cumin or coriander based on your tastebuds!


To make any of these salads, just add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix away. Or, if you prefer a blended tuna, add it all to a food processor and blend away! (Though I would mix the veggies in at the very end so they don't get pureed!)


Feelin' Frisky?: If you're not a fan of tuna, you can easily sub the tuna for some diced tofu to make a tofu salad spread, or chicken!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment