Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rockin' Rice

To this day, I haven't quite mastered the art of making perfect rice on the stovetop. Maybe because I am often cooking single servings, so it doesn't always fill the pan entirely, but I sometimes find the ratio of rice to water isn't quite right, or the rice comes out a bit hard (I like my rice soft, though I know some people don't!), but tonight, I tried something I had read up on that apparently makes rice like the Chinese and Japanese restaurants do (and let's be real, they really make the best rice!), and I have to say, it actually worked! And it couldn't be more simple! All you have to do is soak your rice in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes, drain it, and then cook it as you normally would! I guess something about soaking it removes some of the starch that keeps the rice from softening because the black rice I made tonight was delicious and soft! I can't wait to try it with brown rice and see if I have the same success!

Do you have any tips to make perfect rice?! (Not including using a rice maker of course- I've used them before, but something about making your own rice is more exciting to me, and I find rice maker rice is a bit gummy and tasteless!)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment