Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bearing the Seven Seas

Growing up, my mom always cringed at the thought of frozen meat, seafood etc. Until I went to college, I didn't even know that you could freeze meat/fish... I actually thought it would make it go bad (even though freezing would logically preserve it... stupid me). But in going to college, I discovered that you can, in fact, freeze this stuff- and it's extremely convenient to always have it on hand! One thing I had also never considered was buying frozen seafood. Let's be real, the budget of a college student paying NYC rent doesn''t exactly lend itself to fresh seafood, so I hadn't really been making it for myself because it is sooooo expensive to buy in the supermarkets, but recently, I came across a frozen seafood medley, comprised of a mix of mussels, squid, shrimp, etc- all of which are favorites of mine, and it was only 5 bucks for a 16oz bag! Not to mention, seafood is a really impressive protein bang for your calorie buck! So, for dinner tonight, I made myself some high fiber pasta with this seafood medley and tomato sauce, and let's just say it was exceptionally delish- and when prepared in a sauce, I don't know how anyone would know that the fish wasn't fresh! My mom still cringes at the thought of frozen meats and fish for whatever reason, but when I prepare these dishes for her, she never knows the difference (hey ma- the veal from the other night was fresh out of my FREEZER :-O)


What do you guys think? Is there anything wrong with freezing meat or fish?? Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment