Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Beverage Hype in NYC

For anyone who doesn't live in NYC, (or for those who live in the city but haven't heard), Bloomberg has proposed a ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, movie theaters, etc. While I personally don't drink my calories, I know many people who frequent an afternoon sugary beverage. Bloomberg claims this plan will help fight obesity, but I personally think we have bigger problems to deal with than the consumption of sugar in beverages (ie: why aren't there any salads on McDonald's dollar menu?! And why is Outback Steakhouse allowed to make a Bloomin' Onion or Cheese Fries with over 1,000 calories and an obscene amount of fat?!) I know Paula Deen cut her sugary beverage consumption and lose 30 pounds, but the obesity problem in America extends way beyond Coke and Pepsi. Oh, and not to mention, the ban wouldn't even include juices (which often contain just as much sugar as a soda!)


In my opinion, Bloomberg is wasting his time. I liked the rumored plan to put a higher tax on fast food much better- make the healthier options cheaper, and chances are, people will be more willing to opt for it. If the bag of spinach was cheaper than the bag of rice, I guarantee more families would be eating a salad as a side dish.


What do you think of Bloomberg's plan? Does it have the potential for success??








For further reading, check out this article! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment