Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cream Cheese Chillin'

Bagels don't have to be guilt-inducing! While there are TONS of guilt-free bagel options (which I will definitely address in a later post), today we're focusing on the spreads!


Perhaps the most common spread of choice is cream cheese! Available in many different varieties, Americans eat this stuff up (literally!) not realizing just how fattening it can be. That's right, just because it's called vegetable cream cheese, it doesn't mean that it's healthy.


Luckily, there is a simple way to combat a cream-cheese catastrophe. All thanks to our friends at Philadelphia!
At an impressive 30 calories per 33g, this stuff is a great option for any bagel, roll, bread, etc, and in my opinion, doesn't taste all that different from it's full-fat counterpart.

Personally, I've never really been a fan of plain-old cream cheese. I've always liked the fancier ones (garden veggie, cinnamon raisin, etc.), so naturally, I found a way to make these bagel store staples myself, and lucky for you, I'm going to share a few of my favorite cream cheese recipes!

Before I share, I will note that I don't really measure out the ratio of cream cheese to other ingredients- it's more of a what-fits-your-taste-buds sort of deal, as some people may like more cinnamon or scallions in their cream cheese, so it may require a little trial and error. 

Anyway, here are the ingredients to make your own Scallion & Chive Cream Cheese, Cinnamon Cream Cheese, and Chocolate Cream Cheese

Scallion and Chive Cream Cheese (All measurements are approximates because like I said, I don't really measure!)

4 T Fat-Free CC
1/4-1/2 t onion powder (again, to taste)
Scallions and Chives chopped to your liking!

Feeling frisky? Turn this into garden-vegetable cream cheese by adding celery and carrots, or whatever other veggies you prefer!


Cinnamon Cream Cheese (Same deal; the measurements aren't exact)

4 T Fat-Free CC
1/4-1/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t- 3/4 Stevia, Truvia, Sugar, or any other sweetener you want!

Feeling Frisky? If you're a fan of pumpkin-pie spice or nutmeg, they make great add-ins to this cream cheese! You can also add raisins or craisins to make it cinnamon raisin cream cheese!


Chocolate Cream Cheese (This one almost tastes like a frosting and can easily be spread over muffins, cupcakes, etc!)
4 T Fat-Free CC
1 T Walden Farms Chocolate Dip

Feeling Frisky? Add chocolate chips to make this chocolate chip cream cheese! 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment