Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Makeshift Dinner (No Microwave or oven required!)

So as some of you may know, I just moved into a new apartment in the city last Friday, and unfortunately, nothing works. Literally nothing. (No working AC, intercom, stove, microwave, dishwasher... the list goes on).


As much as it SUCKS, I'm dealing with it (I've become reliant on my three fans and toaster oven), and I recently visited my local dollar store to purchase some long matches so I could light my stovetop because the whole no-working-appliances thing doesn't make the chef in me very happy! For dinner tonight, I got a little creative and threw together a pasta dish using some of my freezer/pantry staples, and since it came together in less than 30 minutes and only required the stove top (and a little additional time to thaw I would assume, since not everyone is living without AC), I thought I would share the recipe.



You'll need:
4oz frozen seafood medley thawed, rinsed, etc.
1/4 cup tomato sauce (I use my homemade sauce that I always keep in my freezer for times like these!)
2oz Atkins Pasta, or any other high fiber, high protein pasta
Veggies of your choosing (I add some peas, chopped cherry tomatos, some sauteed onions and mushrooms which I always keep in my fridge)
A sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, chopped onion flakes, dried minced garlic... basically whatever spices you'd like

To prepare, bring some water to a boil and cook your pasta. Once it's finished, it's time to prepare your sauce! Add whatever veggies to a pot with your seafood medley, tomato sauce, and spices and allow to blend together for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, add your pasta back to the pot and give everything a good mix!

The whole recipe should clock in at under 300 calories depending on the pasta, veggies, tomato sauce, seafood blend, etc. that you use! And seafood has an impressive amount of protein to match the high fiber content of your pasta and veggies, so all in all, a well rounded meal!

Feelin' Frisky?: Throw in a Laughing Cow Cheese wedge at the very end and allow it to melt in with the sauce for a creamy, thick, almost alla vodka-like sauce (sans vodka obviously!)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment