Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spice Up Your Life

Okay, the Spice Girls reference might have been a little much, but they don't call me the spice queen for nothing! Spices are just about my favorite thing in the world! My spice cabinet is filled with just about every spice that exists because let's be real, what better way to flavor a dish for minimal calories than some quality spices? Just about every meal I prepare uses some form of spice, and most of my favorite cuisines rely on unique spices to give the dishes the specific flavor. My favorite cuisine is, and always has been Indian Food, and since I was in the most AMAZING Indian marketplace today, I've decided to share with you my favorite spice blend for making an Indian curry dish. I've used this recipe to make a mushroom curry, a mixed veggie curry with spinach, onions mushrooms, peppers, etc., and I've even added chicken to it! It's extremely versatile, extremely flavorful, and I will warn you, a little spicy!

Indian-Inspired Sassy Spice Blend:

2 t Tumeric (My personal fav!)
1 t Ground Cumin
2 t Coriander

3/4 t Cayenne Pepper (use less if you don't want it spicy!)
1 T Onion Powder
1 T Garlic Powder or 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1 1/2 t Chili Powder
1/2 t paprika (or smoked paprika if you want it to have a slightly smoky taste)

a pinch of salt (can be omitted, but it enhances the flavor)

Feelin' Frisky? To turn this dry spice mix into a full-on curry coma, just add whatever veggies/protein you want to a pot with a little coconut oil (or ghee if you want to keep with the Indian vibe), add the spices with some water, and then a chopped tomato or two (or a few tablespoons of tomato paste if you're a little lazier!), and voilĂ„- you have an Indian masterpiece! 




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment