Friday, May 11, 2012

Chocolate Change-Ups

Confession: I'm a chocoholic. As much as I've developed some killer self-control, I can't live without chocolate. Growing up, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers, PayDay, and Baby Ruths were among my favorites, though let's be real, when it came to chocolate, I wasn't too particular, and I could easily put away a whole bar/pack at once (I mean, who only eats a bite, right?!) In looking back at these addicting treats, they are virtually all sugar, and considering I try to steer clear of the sugary indulgences, I knew I had to find something to take their place! Luckily for me (and you of course!), I have found (slightly) more nutritious versions of a few of my old chocolate favorites, but let me be the first to warn you, these are all equally addictive!

In no particular order, here are a few chocolate bar change ups!

Craving:

 
or

Try: 

Why my pick is better: Let me start by saying Chocolite Products are the answer to any dieting chocoholic's prayers. Every single one of their chocolates is absolutely amazing, but this one has to be my favorite. Each little patty is a cross between a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup and a Butterfinger bar (leaning slightly more toward Reese's), and packs an impressive 6 grams of fiber for a measly 35 calories! Oh, and did I mention there is 0 SUGAR in these puppies?! With those stats, I don't feel bad about eating both patties in one sitting, though it's a good thing they only come 2 to a pack, cause a bag of these could be SERIOUSLY dangerous! The downside, these suckers can be pretty hard to find! You might have to order them online, or search your local health food stores! If you like the peanut butter variety, chances are you'll like Chocolite's other products, all of which can be found here! (If you follow weight watchers, they are making a new 1/2 point-per-piece chocolate candy!)


Craving:

Try:
Why my pick is better: While the Atkins bar is slightly smaller than a PayDay, you won't miss the few extra bites because the Atkins Bar has 3 additional grams of protein (10 in total) and a whopping 11 grams of fiber! So, when you're looking to kick that mid-afternoon chocolate craving, at least you won't be hungry again in 20 minutes! Not to mention, the Atkins bar has 1 gram of sugar in comparison to the  (*gasp*) 21 grams of sugar in a PayDay. The downside? Those sneaky suckers at Atkins decided to put Acesulfame Potassium in their bars for added sweetness, and as far as all natural products are concerned, these guys are not. As sweet as they may be, I'm not trying to increase any risk of Cancer if I can help it! Second downer: The Atkins bars are definitely a bit more expensive than a PayDay, but as I always say, eating healthy isn't always cheap!

Craving:

Try:

Why my pick is better: Sorry baseball fans, Babe has gotta go! With a frightening 32 grams of sugar and less than 2 grams of fiber, this chocolate bar is far from satisfying! Again, our friends at Atkins have made a bar to take their place with only 180 calories and an impressive 8 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber! The downside? Yet again, Atkins bars can get a bit expensive, but hey, at least these guys don't have any cancer-causing sweeteners!

What's your favorite chocolate indulgence? I bet I can find a swap for it!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment