Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Hidden Japanese Gem

It's no secret that sushi is one of my favorite foods, and it also happens to be one of the few things I can't really replicate myself at home. There is nothing quite like the fresh sushi-grade fish that Japanese restaurants serve. While sushi seems to most to be a healthy option by default, not all rolls are created equal, and there are actually a few diet-shockers on the sushi menu. While I could go through the nutritional analysis for mostly everything you could possibly get at a sushi restaurant, I'll spare us all the novel and just tell you about a secret roll that most sushi restaurants serve that many people don't know about- the naruto roll!


These rolls are made with no rice; instead, they are wrapped delicately in cucumber! The generic naruto roll usually has a mixture of tuna, salmon, yellowtail, whitefish, kani, avocado, etc., but I've been to many places that will let you custom order the rolls you like naruto style! On my splurge nights I've ordered eel naruto rolls, spicy tuna and mango naruto rolls, etc.- trust me, you won't even miss the rice! And if you find you still want the rice, order a side of brown rice and add a little bit to each roll!


Just be careful when you order these rolls- sometimes they serve them in a "special sauce," so I always make sure to ask for no sauce just in case! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment